First Congregational Church of Dundee was established on May 8, 1841 by nineteen Charter Members: Elihu, Lucy and Harriet McEwen; John and Abigail Giddings; Thomas and Elizabeth Perkins; General George and Sarah McClure; Steven and Eleanor Tourtelotte; W.R. and Lucy Hemingway; Abiel, Anna and Elizabeth Barker; Squire and Alvira Simpson and Amos Perry and the Reverend Nathaniel C. Clark as missionary pastor.
The church was organized in the schoolhouse, but by 1843 they were meeting in this little frame building on
Within twelve years after founding, the members were able to build a new brick church in October 1853 at a cost of $3,000, excluding the bell. The site of this second church was chosen to be across the park from the first church: "the northwest corner of Block 5, in the
By 1901, the little brick church was becoming too small and the members enthusiastically voted to build a new church for the third time. This was to cost the impressive sum of $11,000 and $11,000 was forthwith raised.
On Sunday, July 7, 1901, the congregation met for the last time in the old church, which was to have the work of its demolishment begun the next day. One can imagine the feelings of sadness and solemnity occasioned by this farewell to a place of hallowed associations and yet with hopeful anticipations for the new sanctuary. The summer the building began, the congregation met in the 1843 church building.
On October 6, 1901, the cornerstone of our church was laid in the sixtieth year since its founding. The articles enclosed in the cornerstone were arranged by Miss Nelda Haeger (who later became Mrs. George McCollum). She prepared an interesting list of these items and wrote, "At some future time when the present church is replaced, those of future generations, who may look upon the contents of the box in the cornerstone, will see copies of periodicals long since out of circulation; deeds to church pews occupied by Alfred Edwards and Eaton Walker; and the large old-fashioned key to the brick church of 1853. It is to be hoped they may be able to recognize the copy of the Bible, also placed there-in!"
The new church was dedicated on April 27, 1902 with a week of celebration. Of special interest within the new church were the distinctive cathedral stained glass windows provided by the Edwards and